Suspecting that your digital activities are being watched. Surveillance can occur when your digital gadget; phone, laptop are connected to internet or with GPS on.Take this steps to ensure you are safe.
Steps to take
When you suspect that your digital activities are being watched:
For Android users:
- Check your device for any unfamiliar apps
- Log out of all your accounts on that phone
- Communicate over secure networks for sensitive communication
- Consider getting a Kabambe phone for sensitive communications
- Perform a factory reset is the problem persists
- Use safe browsers such as Firefox Browser, Pale Moon browser and Google Chrome
- Use a virtual private network for sensitive work
- Log out of all your accounts on that computer
Reach out to organizations skilled in offering digital security:
More information on the threat
Surveillance can occur through any digital device; phone, computer, laptop, and any communication done through these devices e.g. calls, texts or emails. Especially in this era of spyware.
It can happen by:
- Intercepting the communication as it is being sent such that the government entity surveilling can see the communication before it reaches you
- Confiscation of devices by a security agency where they read your communication or install spyware in your device unknowingly.
- Internet service providers/ telecommunication providers can also be compelled to share with the government information about their subscribers
- Listening in on communication through microphones or cameras and device location as shown in the GPS
Signs that you are being surveilled:
- Emails/texts that you do not recall opening appearing as read.
- Call diversions to numbers that you are not aware of